Sunday, February 15, 2009

The Jesus Prayer - "The Prayer of the Heart"

1 Thessalonians 5:17
“Pray without ceasing”

The Jesus Prayer is what some might call a mantra. This prayer pulls us away from intellectualizing our problems and viewing God as one of those problems to be solved. You spend time saying this prayer in a rhythm and say ti when you remember: While driving, waiting in a line. After you do this for a week or longer you find that it begins to recite itself in your heart. It's a discipline that begins to train your heart so that you can begin to pray without ceasing. It's a way to practice being in the presence of God always. There are some great short resources that can be found at the bottom of this post.

How?
Recite this slowly and over and over for a set time and when ever you have free time.

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner.


Why?
• Biblical origins: Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me" (Luke 18:38); the ten lepers who "called to him, Jesus, Master, take pity on us' " (Luke 17:13); and the cry for mercy of the publican, "God, be merciful to me, a sinner" (Luke 18:14).
Matthew 12:34 You brood of vipers, how can you who are evil say anything good? For out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks Matthew 15:18 But the things that come out of the mouth come from the heart, and these make a man 'unclean.' Matthew 23:25 "Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You clean the outside of the cup and dish, but inside they are full of greed and self-indulgence. Matthew 23:26: Blind Pharisee! First clean the inside of the cup and dish, and then the outside also will be clean.

The Prayer of the heart is a prayer that does not allow us to limit our relationship with God to interesting words or pious emotions. By its very nature such prayer transforms our whole being into Christ precisely because it opens the eyes of our soul to the truth of ourselves as well as to the truth of God.
The Way of the Heart, Henri Nouwen

What? (What are the fruits of the prayer)
"When I prayed in my heart, everything around me seemed delightful and marvelous. The trees, the grass, the birds, the air, the light seemed to be telling me that they existed for man's sake, that they witnessed to the love of God for man, that all things prayed to God and sang his praise."

"Again I started off on my wanderings. But now I did not walk along as before, filled with care. The invocation of the Name of Jesus gladdened my way. Everybody was kind to me. If anyone harms me I have only to think, 'How sweet is the Prayer of Jesus!' and the injury and the anger alike pass away and I forget it all."
- The Way of the Pilgrim, Unknown Russian Peasant

Bibliography and Suggested Reading

The Way of the Pilgrim and the Pilgrim Continues His Way translated by Helen Bacovcin

The Way of the Heart by Henri J. Nouwen

Practicing His Presence or The Practice of the Presence of God by Brother Lawrence

No comments: